Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Nov 29

We knew it was coming and it came... the rain. All day. What to do?
Since a lot of the 'things to do' are outdoors we searched to find indoor things to do around Williamsburg. We went to the Old Hospital and Museum. The original building built in 16?? housed mental patients more so though sick patients. It burned down at some point and another hospital was built. It had a rough life but it's now the entry to the Museum. Though it houses a lot of historical artifacts and such it was very boring. The host at the front counter pointed out a few things that the kids would like. Clue #1 that kids are not all that welcome in this museum was that the 'kids' area was at the far back in a corner. It was really well done in a farm theme but there was huge plastic barricade stopping the kids from seeing any of the farm stuff and though it was supposed to tell a story it required a lot of reading. They did have a table with coloring pencils and farm animal pictures so we colored and then left. Clue #2 was when the boys were told by a non-employee to stop running. They were running but I was talking to them so it wasn't necessary to have another opinion. After such a great experience yesterday in Jamestown that welcomed kids learning and experiencing history this was discouraging.
We then ran through the rain to the Kimbell theatre to hear George Washington give a presentation and question and answer time. Now I knew this would be a long shot with a 3 year old but I had a few toys and snacks and he can hold it together for a little while. We sat at the back and quickly noticed that though there were children in the audience most were over 65. After 5 minutes I took Tucker into the hall to have a snack and then brought him back in. We'd been back in the room no more than 5 minutes, Tucker playing fairly quietly with a toy on the chair next to me and the single over 65 lady in front of us turns around and says that our kids are distracting and this is not the place for kids, they should leave. Cooper was playing the itouch and not making a sound. I was mad but speechless and I took Tucker into the hall again. Rob started having words with her and asked if she remembers having kids and she said she had 7 children and 10 grandchildren. Not sure I want to be a grandchild with this lady. I was embarrassed and mad. How are children supposed to learn to be quiet if not given opportunities such as this to learn self control? I had some choice words formed in my head for the lady but when it came down to it I realized that as a mum we try hard to teach our children the appropriate things to do and say, manners, respect, self control, and though they don't always do those things we keep trying and giving them opportunities to 'practice.' We are raising future adults. I 'm sad that a fellow mother cut me down (instead of moving further to the front.. there were at least 20 rows in front of her she could have moved down too.. plenty of waiting seats... We at least sat at the very back trying not to disturb others) and I'm reminded to give more grace to fellow mothers because we are trying but we don't have immediate control over our little angels.
By lunch time I was forming opinions of Williamsburg that included liberal and yuppy and wondering if they send their children to boarding school at birth. We decided to get out of Williamsburg as the rain had brought out umbrella welding seniors.
After lunch we went to the glass blowing shed back toward Jamestown. Glassblowing was the first product made and sold by the Jamestown pioneers. They were the first entrepreneurs in the new world. Rob thought that was pretty cool since we are entrepreneurs ourselves.
It was getting late and still rainy so we went to Yorktown and purchased a battlefield tour cd and drove around the revolutionary war battlefield. The dug outs are all still there... 200+ years later. Still quite vivid. Tucker took a short nap while we drove and by the time we were done it was dark. Yorktown was the last battle of the Revolutionary war which brought Americas independence. We drove by Moore house where the surrender papers were signed and we drove by Surrender field where the British laid down their arms. We walked from the British embankment to the second French/ American embankment and thought of all the men that died beneath our feet. We saw about 100 deer as we drove around. It was dusk and we started counting but lost count after 86 but we saw more after that. It's a national park area so they are free and undeterred by passing cars.
Cooper wanted to make marshmallows on the fire but we explained the wood was wet and he settled for a marshmallow after his dinner was finished.
So our day was a hodge podge and less exciting than others. Thought provoking. Tomoorow it's supposed to be sunny.... :)
 Looking from the French/ American embattlement line. The far middle is where the British were dug in.
 If this mound could talk.

 The British had mini forts called Redoubts that tried to stop the Americans but of course they didn't.
Eri reminders of freedom.

1 comment:

  1. R - this really takes me back! I remember this stuff vividly from my own east coast visits as a very young child. As far as being told to be quiet, can you imagine how joyless that lady's life is, all the time? You had a better companion in the hall than she ever has. Sorry she took it out on your sweet boys. --Carol